1950’s PI duo’s sleuthing!

Viviana Valentine Goes Up the River (Girl Friday #2) by Emily J. Edwards  

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


Ok I wasn’t feeling the love, I was finding it hard to identify with the characters. I knew it was supposed to be a spoof on 1950’s type mystery novels, but on first beginnings reading I found it more a B grade movie than a jewel in the crown. Anyway I gave it a second chance read and loved it!

I adored the PI team of Viviana Valentine and Tommy Fortuna. They were awesome.

This is a locked room mystery and as I became more engrossed it sparked me up. At that first attempt I obviously was not in the mood, next time round was a winner.

I love the cover of the book btw.

Tally, Viviana and Tommy’s very rich secretary and acquaintance from a prior case, takes a phone call at home from her friend Buster Beacon needing a private eye for some rather embarrassing, ridiculous even, occurrences. As Buster puts it, “Woo-woo creaks and ghastly sounds.”

Viviana and Tommy take the case and find themselves upstate at Buster’s country mansion ready to investigate those strange noises. 

There’s a mansion with passageways, a body, a sudden snowstorm, and let’s not forget the woo-woo noises!

The guests range from two bright tech men with work that involves dangerous secrets, an investor and his wife, a neighbor, a regular upper crust gal, and of course the butler. 

Street smart and sassy playing well into its genre and era. All I can say is thank goodness I began over. I was won!


Crooked Lane Books ARC via NetGalley.                                              

Many thanks to the author and publisher.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

Darkness and passion in 1750's Venice.