A plethora of 2 star historical romance

How to Forgive a Highlander by Michelle McLean    

Kidnappings do go wrong!
I dithered around with reading this over a week. Alas that says it all!  I generally read a novel of this genre in a couple of hours, give or take. In the end I just could n't identify with either Rose or William or their story. A bit sad as generally I rather like Michelle McLean's works.
The lead characters William MacGregor and Rose Thatcher are not titled, which gives a different and interesting slant to how events might unfold. It maybe accounts for MacGregor kidnapping Rose under the impression that she's her mistress.
Now we have the perfect scenario for two strong and committed personalities clashing mightily. What we end up with is a distinct lack of verve and dash on either side. Oh sure there's some posturing. But I wasn't convinced. Too bad! I really wanted to become immersed in this one, but I barely dragged myself over the finish line.
Obviously though, I'm in the minority, as many others have absolutely loved it.

An Entangled  ARC via NetGalley


The Tracker (The Dregs #1) by Leslie Georgeson    

Damaged souls redeemed!
I was initially attracted to this given it was a 2018 TopShelf Indie Book Awards nominee. The storyline seemed interesting. The aura of the paranormal clinging around the edges, beguiling.
The Dregs! A band of brother survivors, ex military experiments, clinging to the shadows (beyond the underbelly of the city), trained soldiers and killers who overcome their pasts with the help of a good woman (in the case of the Tracker (Liam) anyway.)
I acknowledge the warnings strong language and adult situations. And there is an 18 and up recommendation.
I felt there might be enough here to really enjoy something different and the redemption of a damaged soul is a great trope. Mind you the going is not easy.
The Tracker takes on the case of a young woman searching for her sister stolen by one of the gangs that have overrun the city. Jessica seems to have her own set of gifts, like the fact that she can always remember her way back.
Liam tries to repel Jessica, but she's really very persistent. She agrees to be the Tracker's housekeeper/cook type person, in order to have her sister tracked by the expert! Of course so much more will come into play!
The story was a cut above the hackneyed but not enough for me to want to read more.

An Xpresso Book Tour ARC via NetGalley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

Highland enemies!