Steampunk, shifters and love!

Brass Carriages and Glass Hearts (Proper Romance Steampunk #4)
by Nancy Campbell Allen       


I do enjoy steampunk but must admit I haven't read any for a couple of years. I was unsure if I wanted to get back into this genre, and wondered if I could read this without having a knowledge of the series background. I'm pleased to say this stands alone, so that's that hurdle down. I'm now committed to investigating the series, and a have renewed interest in this genre.
I enjoyed Brass Carriages immensely. I loved the courage and vivacity of Emme (Emmeline Castle O’Shea) and the long suffering, dependable and broodingly, focused energy of Oliver (Detective-Inspector Oliver Reed). (Really? Oliver Reed? Mmm! I can see that!) 
Emme is a strong advocate for the rights of the shifter community and is working on trying to repeal the Predatory Shifter Extermination Act. An important international conference, The International Shifter Rights Organization is being held to vote on the matter. Emme is to speak. Forces against her have already sent threatening letters and Oliver is assigned to guard her. The lead up to this was très amusing. Of course Emme and Oliver's relationship is like oil and water, tricky and needing something else for the emulsifying factor to occur. That component is present in spades! Emme has a difficult family structure, partly pure poison. The Cinderella references are rife. As the preface states each book in the series is a, "familiar fairy tale in a steampunk 19th-century UK setting." The manipulation of this traditional literary tool is rewarding.
I think of 'Emme' and I immediately think of the suffragettes and their activism. The modeling fits the energies and activism of that era. A young woman concerned with injustice and the ability for all to choose their own path, for enfranchisement for all no matter their background and traits.
A great read that made me laugh and teeter on the edge of Oh No's! quite a few times.

A Shadow Mountain  ARC via NetGalley 
Please note: Quotes taken from an advanced reading copy maybe subject to change

*****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

The Three Muscateers—three widows, three sets of different circumstances