Shifter romance misogyny!

A Pack of Blood and Lies (The Boulder Wolves #1) 
by Olivia Wildenstein    

I haven't read any shifter romances for eons. I've become somewhat fatigued by the "same old same old." I went into reading A Pack of Blood and Lies hoping it would give a fresh take on a well loved, but sadly tired, theme.
And I have to say I really quite enjoyed this story with the determined wolf shifter Ness, who with her mother had fled the Boulder Pack and its messiness (cruelty) six years prior. Ness was  a female shifter in an all male pack. That was a source of trouble, and still is. Times haven't changed that much. The Boulder Pack crew did not have female shifters. They were an anathema to the pack. Any "accidents" didn't survive.
The other problem is Liam Kolane, son of the dictatorial, brutal alpha leader, Heath.
When Heath dies it's time for a new leader to rise. No-one challenges Liam--except Ness. She throws her hat into the ring. That action acts as a burning brand thrown into the whole misogynist mess, setting it alight for good--or bad!
I must say I found the language a bit strong at times, but then I suppose that forms part of the genre, giving atmosphere for some writers.
The story left off with some questions for future times.
So all's good, and I didn't resent my foray back into the shifter romance world.

A NetGalley ARC

***

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

A sparkling ride!