Modesitt challenges again!

Quantum Shadows by L. E. Modesitt, Jr        

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️


I must admit this was heavy going until I got into the flow. I really wanted to love this--in the end I did. Enter a world where the major religions are confined to ten houses, with a few gods on the side who could become more depending on the added impetus of believers. (This idea I've met before.) A world  where when things become out of balance a major catastrophe or 'the fall' could happen.
Something is afoot in Heaven. A symbol of a Trident, dark etched, has appeared branded into places where it shouldn't be able to, a disruption in a tightly balanced world. 
Corvyn's task is to monitor the situation. A figure wrapped in shadows, able to weave and bend them to his will. (We've seen others in Modesitt's works do this). Corvyn's investigations take him throughout the ten houses.
Philosophical and religious thoughts form part of the background and as ever food and wine play a part, as Corvyn revisits favoured inns and restaurants, places that haven't seen him for many years.
As always I'm fascinated by Modesitt's ability to construct worlds and their belief systems. I place this novel alongside those that I find interesting and raised questions that have value.
Corvyn, and his electrobike, and black stedora always so carefully placed is an interesting character. My mind just couldn't resist going to those figures like the four horseman of the acopolypse, only more urban fantastical. I'm sure there's many more but they're lingering on the edge of my consciousness at the moment refusing to fully form.
Corvyn's commentary on the various houses and their peculiarities are as concise as they are cutting. 
The story is dotted with references religious and mythological. I needed Wikipedia by my side to recall some. Like for example the significance of Ravens as messengers between heaven and earth, birds of prophecy and insight, connectors between the spirit world and the physical world prompting sometimes darkness and at other times a mysterious force when there's a need to reflect on actions.
Well all that works for me within this story, although maybe Corvyn's more an angel of judgement and balance.
Whatever, once again there's acres of images to reflect on and dots to join in this rather more challenging read.

A Macmillan-Tor/Forge ARC via NetGalley 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

Unusual thriller!