Dieting revisited!

The Fast800 Diet: Discover the Ideal Fasting Formula to Shed Pounds, Fight Disease, and Boost Your Overall Health 
by Dr. Michael Mosley          


A combination of ideas put forward about food, exercise and losing weight by Mosley are ringing bells with me. Particulars he's mentioning are factors my doctor has been raising with me. Although my need is more to do with excess weight putting pressure on my arthritic knees.
The book is pithy, easy to read, not too complicated in its explanations, fairly straightforward and most importantly, held my interest.
The things that struck me most included:
that Mosley gives "a number of options so you can tailor the program to your needs, goals and motivation...based on 800-calorie fast days—it’s high enough to be manageable and sustainable but low enough to trigger a range of desirable metabolic changes." So changing metabolism gets a tick and there are Options available for the way you might approach the process. 800 calories is really not a hardship for me but alas there goes the glass of a particularly nice Sauvignon Blanc I've just purchased.
Some of the Benefits which also resonate for my particular needs are:
1. Better sleep
2. Cutting risk of type 2 Diabetes
Mosley references the idea of Intermittent fasting such as the 5:2 program alongside Time Restricted Eating which apparently helps with acid reflux (another little quirk I've developed.)
He does address the concerns about rapid weight loss equaling rapid weight gain and then it seems morphs into championing a Mediterranean type diet to counteract this.
Sadly I do know about foods that convert to sugar. (But between the knowing and doing I find there's a ginormous gap!)
He discusses Exercise. Once again there is a certain amount of symmetry with what Mosley puts forward and what my doctor's been saying. His hints for strength training are a plus. I liked his "12 ways to introduce more activity into your life" section. Using the exercise bike is one cross over, although my days of stomach crunches and squats have long gone. Tai Chi and water aerobics is more where I'm centered these days.
The chapter on Stress was a bonus, especially with the inclusion of practicing Mindfulness and a couple of short related exercises.
The Recipe section suggestions I feel would be easily incorporated into one's routine. Interestingly gluten free (such a buzz word) is mentioned only once, and then in a recipe.
As with all food control books the things on the NO list are what we all know about (no pun intended).
So there goes the Hagen Daz and Lindt and that rather delicious Savy B.
But wait maybe some of those can be incorporated on a Five day day! If I go for a 5:2 regime!
Despite what seems to be many pluses, I will say I am reserving judgement about the validity of Mosley's ideas for me until I can explore them further. Which for my particular needs could well be a good thing. BTW interesting release date!

An Atria ARC via NetGalley

****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

The Three Muscateers—three widows, three sets of different circumstances