"Truly great writers recreate not only locations but also eras and histories."

Literary Places (Inspired Traveler's Places) by Sarah Baxter. Illustrations by Amy Grimes         

If you have a literary bent and are contemplating travel this is a fascinating book. Even if your not venturing to far flung place, this gem of a book will allow loads of armchair traveling. 
Twenty-five locations were chosen from St Petersburg in Russia to Saigon in Vietnam and places both north and south of the equator and around the globe encompassing longitudes from England to Chile.
I grappled with artist's impressions for the first couple of chapters. I am used to, and was expecting photographs, ideally artistically shot. You know a bridge or archway  looming through the bull rushes taken from a prone position etc. etc. 
But here we have artistic impressions by Amy Grimes, superbly rendered, colorful, and often showing a 'naive' primitivism influence, with occasional magic realism touches. These art works, capturing the essence of places as we're guided through select novel pathways, are beautiful additions. 
So this was unexpected! I was envisaging maps and photos to support Baxter's inclusions and find this literary discussion of the place, time and background of a selected novel, supported by Grimes' delicately nuanced works, rewarding. I found myself enjoying this different approach. And I remembered the small book and pencils I used to carry with me to do sketches with. Nowhere near as creative as Grimes' digital collage works and overlays, but I identified with the process. (BTW reading more about Grimes's artistic methods via other access points was interesting.)
In fact I was disappointed there weren't more illustrations. They were the deciding factor for me between a four star or a five star rating.
Fortunately I have read most of the books selected, and more fortunately I have visited many of their locations. So Baxter's book reminded me of not only the associated books, but my own responses to the novels and to their locations. The particular places recalled to me the times and conditions in which the novels were set, be it at the time of the Hemingway and the Spanish Wars, Steinbeck and Cannery Row in Monterey or Austen's Bath.
I would not be taking this book with me on a trip (unless in eBook form) but I would read it before and after I travelled to any of the places mentioned--just for the pleasure it gives. This is a book to be enjoyed in hardcopy, to be held, to have paper pages turning and to be enjoyed at that physical level.
'Picnic at Hanging Rock' by Joan Lindsay set near Mt Macedon, Victoria, Australia  was a favorite, as was the 'God of Small Things' by Arundhati Roy set in Kerala in Southern India. And yes, I had many more favs but I didn't want to list all twenty-five.
A most pleasing publication!


A White Lion Publishing ARC via NetGalley 

*****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

The Three Muscateers—three widows, three sets of different circumstances