The weight of a deathbed vow

The Earl, the Vow, and the Plain Jane  (The Lords of Eton #2)
by Cheryl Bolen 


A pleasing story that has you're upstanding hero reluctantly clinging to the deathbed vow made to his father to restore the family castle to its original glory. To do this he has to marry an heiress. Of course there's one available, even with several hitches.
I must admit I found myself annoyed with Lord Slade as he clung to his duty and then left an amazing woman like Miss Jane Featherstone to suffer, the woman he admired who understood Whig politics and their ramifications. All this was mother's milk to Jane, having been given full reign to join dinner conversations with some of the leading minds of the day from her early years. Of course Jane's not acceptably beautiful, probably more arresting. At least Lord Slade finds her pretty.
I really disliked that Lord Slade was rude to Mr. Poppinbotham who is not only standing for a parliamentary seat but seems to want to court Jane. Lord Slade couldn't have her so no one was going to. And I do hope there's a rosy future for this cit. turned politician. I came to rather like the much maligned Mr. Poppinbotham, absurd as he was in his focus on the cost of things. Of course he was focused on money! He'd had to claw his way up to a place of wealth and prominence.
So I had little time for the hero of the novel when he acted like a dog in the manger over Jane. I suppose I shall eventually forgive him as he was between a rock and a hard place. And I know, he's a man of honor etc. etc. I loved the female lead and some of the supporting cast. Though Jane's cousin, the heiress, is really quite self absorbed that only Jane's forgiveness of her many foibles had me willing to forgive her too. Oh my! I seem to have used a host of superlatives in this review. Yes, I could see the end coming, and am pleased to report that an HEA does hold sway, despite the path being strewn with obstacles.

A NetGalley ARC

*** 1/2

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things aren’t as they seem!

Women in war—Internment by the Japanese 1942-45.

The Three Muscateers—three widows, three sets of different circumstances