About Me

My photo
All art is unstable. It's meaning is not necessarily that implied by the author, There is no authorative active voice. There are only multiple readings. David Bowie, 1995

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

... journey to nowhere

The Passenger by Lisa Lutz


I actually found myself not as invested in this story as I had hoped. Obviously others were absolutely delighted by it. Such a personal thing, what appeals, but I am a little over Thelma and/or Louise type stories. Blue is a character that I don't like and don't trust. But then Jo (the identity the mysterious Ryan communicates with) really has no choice. There is a heap of layers within layers hidden here but the sameness of the various small towns that Jo sheltered in leached a dreariness into the very soul of the story.
Events certainly moved quickly and the situations Jo found herself in were unimaginable.
I sort of had things figured out by the time we were a chapter into the last identity's story. The multiplicity of identities is gruelling. I was exhausted and so was the central character. Just for the record, I liked Domonic--a lot. He pushed the stars to 3.

A NetGalley ARC

***

No comments:

Post a Comment